Based on different sources there are around 2,400 programming languages being used in the world. So, in between these languages choosing one to build your project can be hard. Hence, we decided to give you a brief overview of the top programming languages that are most likely to rule 2023.
With this overview, we hope you can make a better decision as to which programming language to choose for your business.
- This programming language does not suit complex software, such as games demanding graphics.
Invented by Yukihiro Matsumoto in the mid-1990s, Ruby is one of the most popular programming languages. Despite the decline in the popularity of current programming languages, demand for Ruby has remained constant. Choose Ruby if you want a web solution that is both fast and efficient. Although the Ruby community is not big, it is quite active.
Ruby developers can easily build, debug, reuse, and maintain software products since it supports object-oriented programming. Similarly, it is effortless to read and understand the code written in this programming language for developers since it uses simple syntax and has high readability. All of this combined means that developers will spend less time building an app, resulting in the company saving costs. This peculiar feature of Ruby distinguishes it from other programming language trends.
Here are some additional pros and cons of Ruby.
- Ruby has a significant number of Ruby gems which are solutions ready which extend the existing functionality. Coders thus do not need to write code from scratch.
- Ruby uses the DRY principle and implements best coding practices such as the active record pattern which results in improved code readability and length.
- Low speed is one of the main drawbacks of the Ruby programming language.
- The Ruby community is still in the growing phase so it is smaller than other programming language communities.
Guido van Rossum created Python in the late 1980s. Guido had developed a general programming language called ABC earlier. But it had some drawbacks even though the functionality was decent. So, Guido then took the syntax and the best features of ABC to create a new scripting language called Python in order to fix all of those issues. Based on a survey done by stack overflow Python is second in line with the top programming languages that developers want to learn.
Python these days is a very sought-after form of programming language, thanks to its simple learning, efficiency, and versatility factors. Besides that Python is also an excellent option for artificial intelligence, machine learning, data science, and the Internet of Things which has been on the rise recently.
Here are some additional pros and cons of Python:
- The syntax of Python is very easy to read and understand, making it a top programming language of choice for beginners as well.
- Python has extensive libraries with ready-made code snippets which developers can easily use to perform basic tasks.
- Python can process large chunks of data easily which is why popular platforms that handle massive data are built using python.
- Since Python is a dynamically typed language, variable data can change in the future leading to runtime errors.
- The use of Python is only limited to mobile development.
In 1995 James Gosling developed Java. While it was aimed at interactive television, the technology ended up being too advanced and hence was used for Internet programming instead. Some key characteristics of Java as a top programming language include robust, security, platform-independent, object-oriented, and dynamic. This programming language allows object-oriented programming, meaning developers can divide a large project into small chunks making the project easy to handle.
If you are looking for a robust and secure enterprise solution, Java can be the one for you. As of 2022, there were 14 million Java developers around the world, making it easier to find a specialist for any of your projects.
Here are a few pros and cons of Java:
- Java has a wide range of IDEs making it an efficient tool for writing and testing codes.
- Multiple threads can be run in Java independently which helps in increasing the app’s performance and efficiency.
- Java has minimized the code’s vulnerability with its enhanced safety features.
- Java became a subscription-based service so you’ll have to pay a monthly subscription fee to use it.
- Despite being an object-oriented programming code written in Java can be quite long and tedious to read.
- Java can have inconsistent performance since it runs on a Java Virtual machine.
Initially known as Cool, as in C-like Object-Oriented Language. C# was created from the .Net framework in 1999. Anders Hejlsberg took the flaws from popular languages and designed a new programming language that we know today as C#. This programming language has 20 years of history and now has evolved to be a powerful language with many applications. This programming language ranks fifth in TIOBE and fourth in PYPL indexes.
Although in the beginning, it walked a similar route as Java, it moved in a different direction by adopting new features fast. For example, C# included lambda expressions much earlier than Java, which saved a lot of time and thus optimized the program. Microsoft uses this language as its basic language so it is mainly used for creating Microsoft-specific apps and programs.
Here are some pros and cons of C#:
- Since C# is object-oriented it ensures efficiency, stability, and simple maintenance.
- It’s easy to find errors in C# since it’s a statically typed language.
- C# has a large community which ensures it’s always evolving.
- C# needs a windows based server to run an app.
- C# relies on the .NET framework for its flexibility.
- In case of changes, as a rule, a developer needs to recompile the code, which can be tedious.
Swift was developed by Chris Lattner along with other Apple developers in 2010. The idea for this programming language has been taken from multiple technologies like Objective-C, Ruby, Python, Rust, and C#. Initially, it was designed to replace Objective C but this programming language remained the same since the 1980s.
However, based on the feedback from the community, Swift had several updates in 2022. Because of those updates, this language now has been optimized to improve the ecosystem and the developer’s experience, making it easy for you to incorporate into your projects with great efficiency and speed.
Here are a few pros and cons of Swift:
- With Swift, you can easily extend functionality by simply adding the features you need.
- Swift is one of the top programming languages with a clean and expressive syntax.
- With Swift, developers can avoid major code crashes and errors due to excellent typing and error-handling functions.
- Since Swift is a newly developed programming language it doesn’t have a big community like the others.
- It’s been noticed that Swift lacks backward compatibility with every newly released version.
- Since Swift has significant changes in every new version released, third-party tools can quickly become incompatible.
Created by Google developers Robe Pike, Ken Thompson, and Robert Griesemer, Go, or Golang was first introduced in 2007. This language was initially designed to make a more productive and scalable software development process in Google. However, in 2009 developers resealed Go as an open-source project.
In a survey done by JetBrains, it was found that Go was one of the top programming language developers learning in 2022. From the day it was released, Go has come a long way from being a new programming language used out of curiosity to a mature tool being applied for significant solutions. As of now, there are 3.3 million Go developers and the community is still growing. Use Go if you want to speed up your project.
Here are a few pros and cons of Go:
- Go is a good start for developers to learn programming language since it has very few complex functions to discover
- Go requires fewer third-party libraries since it has a decent standard library of its own.
- With Static Analysis in Go style, performance, and security issues in codes can be easily found.
- Compared to other ecosystems, Go has a smaller number of packages.
- Development takes more time since Go has a very poor error-handling system.
Solidity is an object-oriented programming language that is statically typed and used for creating smart contracts. A smart Contract is a computer program executing the terms and conditions of a real contract without intermediaries. These contracts have a de facto blockchain called Ethereum. Solidity language itself was developed by blockchain engineers to make it suitable for programming smart contracts, hence why blockchain engineers prefer working with Solidity. Since this language is fairly new, it is still growing.
Here are some pros and cons of Solidity:
- Solidity is considered one of the best programming languages for creating transparent and safe smart contracts.
- Solidity supports open-source documentation which explains how the language works.
- With Application Binary Interface debugging is easy in Solidity.
- Smart contracts change over time and need more features. With Solidity code, contracts are immutable.
- As it is a young language, it lacks libraries for developers.
The future of the software development industry definitely looks promising. By keeping track of programming languages you can choose the best for your organization. And here we have put together a list of the current trending programming languages for your ease! Let us know which one you would like to learn more about.